Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Track Workout

Today, I did a track workout for the first time in a long time.  I went to the group led by the trainer whose classes I take at the Y.  (I've been doing his track workouts for years.)  We run at a high school track.  He has been running workouts for a few weeks this season but I haven't been to one yet.  When I saw the workout in an email I knew I was in trouble! 
We started with 4 easy laps warm up and then 4 laps fast on the straights and slow on the curves.  Then it was 4x400 on 3 minutes.  I did ok for those first 4 repeats.  I had 1:57, 1:59, 1:57 and 1:57.  Then a lap slow and then on to the next set of 4x400 on 2:40.  That was tough.  I wasn't getting much rest.  All 4 of those laps were 2:01-2:03.  Another slow lap and then to the next set - 4x400 on 2:30.  This is where it got ugly.  I might as well have done a mile repeat because I got very little rest between repeats - about 15-20 seconds.  The last two 400s were 2:09 and 2:08.  There was actually a fourth set but only two people attempted that - 4x400 at 2 minutes.  I did the first one then a slow lap in which time the other two did almost two repeats so I joined them on their last repeat.  Then two slow cool down laps and I had just run 7 miles with 3.5 miles of fast running. 
I was worn out but I actually felt really good afterward.
Before we started, I told the coach that it was going to be hard after the first set because I don't think I can run a 400 in two minutes right now.  He said, "oh yeah, you were running 1:47s last year!"  It was at the END of the summer that I was ran a couple of 1:47 400s.  (I was also 10 lbs lighter at that time but I didn't mention that.)
So, that was my fun and games for the day! 

Runner Nerd
did speedwork

No comments:

Post a Comment