Sunday, June 27, 2010

Run interrupted by a... TORNADO????????

What a way to begin the 16 week journey to my next marathon!!
I headed out for a 7 mile run at Hudson Mills.  It was hot and cloudy and looked like it could rain but it was not windy at all.  As I was running along around 2.5 miles into my run a TRUCK came up behind me on the non-motorized trail and scared the $*%# out of me!  The park ranger said there is a tornado warning and a tornado had been sighted in Washtenaw county and to get in the truck and he would take me back to the parking lot.  Well....I took a look at the sky, it was cloudy and darker off in a distance but it wasn't windy; the tree leaves were just hanging there not moving at all.  I said that I'd just take the short cut back to the parking lot and he said ok and off he went.  (I didn't think he'd actually let me stay out there!)  I really wasn't that far away and I figured I would at least get 3 miles in.   I sped up thinking that if I wasn't going to get the miles in I'd at least get some faster running in.  I reluctantly passed where I would have been turning to run a 4 mile loop and then again only slightly reluctantly turned off the trail to the road-the shortcut back to my car- since it was starting to rain.  I could see my car when all of a sudden it just started downpouring!  The rain was coming down very hard, it hit my skin hard.  I was soaked in just a few seconds!  It stopped raining just a few minutes after I got in the car.  I waited a few more minutes and the black clouds were moving away and the sky was lightening up.  I got out and walked around the parking lot; soaked people were coming in from the disk golf course, must be the park ranger didn't go out picking up disk golfers!!  I was thinking about going back out but there was quite a bit of lightening by then so I decided it best to get going.  I changed my clothes and went to a grocery store a few miles away and when I came out of there it was sunny!  I'd have went back to the park to run some more if not for needing to get home and work on a paper for my English class. 
So much for the first long run of my marathon training program!!  I am glad I ran 6 miles Friday after work.
I have to work in the morning and I am planning on going to the library after work to work on my paper.  I probably won't go running unless I just write like crazy and have my paper almost finished but I don't see that happening.   I really hate to wish the summer away but I will be so happy when this class is over.

Grand Rapids...here I come!!!!!!!!!

Runner Nerd
equal parts runner & nerd today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment