Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bayshore Marathon

I ran my 4th marathon Saturday! (well, I mostly ran it)
This was my slowest ever marathon.  I knew I wasn't going to PR or anything but I thought I could run somewhere in the area of 4:30.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  not quite
I crossed the 20 mile point at 3:33.  I knew it would be tough to run the last 6.2 in an hour but I was confident that it wouldn't be that much over an hour, I figured I'd be well under 5 hours.  Well....... I was wrong again!  Between the 21st mile marker and the 23rd mile marker I didn't do very much running, I walked more than I ran.  My calves were cramping and getting the feeling like they were being twisted kind of like when you wring out a washcloth and my right foot started cramping and felt like it was trying to curl up inside my shoe.  Running made the foot thing better but also made my calves really hurt.  As I was approaching the 23rd mile marker I told myself that I'd had a walking break that even Jeff Galloway would think was ridiculous and that I was going to run from 23 to the finish line, it's ONLY 3 miles.  I kept telling myself that I only have 3 miles to go and I go out and run 3 miles all the time.  There was a water stop at the 23 mile point so I drank water and took off running and was surprised that I was running ok.  I thought I was running at about the pace I started at.  I crossed the halfway at 2:12 which is about a 10:15 pace.  My miles were all between 10:00 and 10:37.  The last aid station was at 24.5 miles, I walked through just enough to drink a cup of water and continued on.  I had grand plans to pick up the pace at the 25 mile marker cuz it's only a mile!!  I don't know if I picked up the pace or not but the last half mile was tough.  To add to that there were people everywhere yelling "you're almost there" and "the finish is just around that corner"  I was back on the college campus and there were a few turns and I was seeing things I saw at the very beginning but no finish line in sight.  I knew the finish was on the track and I thought that I had to run all the way around the track but it was only a very short portion of track.  The track finally came into view and then the finish line.  I did it!!!  I ran a marathon!! I had decided during the last part of the marathon that I am not running again for a month. I also changed my mind about the marathon I'm signed up for in October--don't want to do it now.
Right after I finished I heard an announcement that the FINAL shuttle bus to the hotels was leaving soon.  HUH??  I did the math in my head...7+5=12 (7am start + 5 hours = 12 noon) and the buses are supposed to run until 1:15pm.  I checked my watch just to be sure and it was just a few minutes past noon.  I had to get my bag from the bag check area and get to the bus, no time for food.  All of the water bottles had the caps removed.  When I was getting my bag I spilled what water was in the bottle so I had no more water.  I finally found where the buses were and got on the right one and then they were saying that they might not leave until 1:15.  Never again do I not drive myself to a marathon if I am not staying in a hotel close enough to walk.  They did leave shortly and I got back to my hotel with enough time that I didn't have to hurry to get checked out on time. 
Sooooooo, here I am nearly a week after the marathon.  I'm feeling pretty good now.  As for not running for a month...I ran a 10K yesterday!!  Yep, a midweek 10K to celebrate National Running Day!  It was put on by the running store out in the middle of nowhere on dirt roads.  Last year I PR'd there and won the masters!  It's just an informal race where you look at the clock or your watch as you cross then write your name on the big poster board.  The "awards" are leftovers from previous races.  I wasn't sure what would happen when I started running last night but it went ok.  I surprised myself with a 56:50!!  I was actually very proud of myself!!!  Tonight was Thursday night running group.  I ran 3.5 miles and felt pretty good.  I guess I am recovering.  I still don't know if I want to do this again in October.  16 weeks out from Oct. 17 is only 2 weeks away.  I don't know what to do.  I'm registered.  4 others that I know of from the Thursday night group are also registered.  My plan was for this spring marathon to be for staying in shape over the winter and base building for the fall marathon where I want to break 4 hours.  Now I'm not so sure.  Right now I don't even want to think about doing this again.  I guess I just need more time. 
I have a few stories from the marathon but they will have to wait until later.  I need to get to bed.
Runner Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment