Friday, January 13, 2012

Modern Technology

Thirty years ago, when I was a young adult just beginning my grown up life - if someone had told me that someday I'd be shopping in a store and just before checking out,  I'd pull a small device, which fits in the palm of my hand, out of my pocket and call up Pizza Hut and order a pizza and then 17 minutes later pull up to a drive through window, roll my window down, pay for the pizza, have the pizza handed to me through the window and then head off to home - I'd have called them crazy!!  I could not have even imagined doing such a thing.

I'm not sure why that scenario got me to thinking about how things have changed in my lifetime.  On the drive home I got to thinking about how different things are from when I was growing up.  Then, in my nerdiness, I started thinking about how things will change in the future.  I wonder if, in the future, after calling and ordering a pizza as we drive up to the restaurant our phone will somehow announce our arrival, perhaps similar to how some people "check in" when they enter a place and it goes to Twitter or Facebook or whatever.  Who knows??

I have to say, no matter what somebody would suggest to me today that we will be able to do in the future, I'd probably believe them, whereas, way back in 1982 there's no way I'd have believed such things as tiny wireless telephones would be possible. 

Runner Nerd
ponderer of great things!!

No comments:

Post a Comment