Wednesday, March 26, 2014

SELF Magazine bashes marathon runners wearing tu-tus

I've only read SELF Magazine in waiting rooms and have never found it to be of interest to me.  I saw on Facebook this evening that they did a blurb in the April issue on marathon runners wearing tu-tus.  The piece was in a feature they call the "BS Meter"  which is "the SELF guide to what is legit and what is lame this month".  They picture two women running a marathon wearing tu-tus.  The piece is actually making fun of running in a tu-tu.  They say,
"A racing tu-tu epidemic has struck NYC's Central Park, and it's all because people think these frou frou skirts make you run faster.  Now, if you told us they made people run away from you faster, maybe we would believe it."
From what I've now read, these women were running a marathon in LOS ANGELES, not NYC!  It also turns out that one of the women is in the midst of treatment for BRAIN CANCER and is running a marathon between sessions of chemotherapy.  Her bib said, "Die Tumor Die", instead of her name, and it clearly shows in the photo.  I looked to see if SELF has a Facebook page and they do.  Already, there were many comments under all of their posts referring to the bashing of a cancer patient running a marathon.  I think this is going to haunt them!  Of all the pictures of tu-tu wearing runners they could have found on marathon websites they pick one of a cancer patient and get bombarded with criticism on their FB page!
Tu-tus seem to be the latest thing!  I see lots of them in every race I run.  I don't think anyone thinks that wearing a tu-tu will make them run faster.  I'm actually running a 5K this coming Saturday called - yep, you guessed it - Tutu 5K!  It's a fundraiser for the Dexter Ballet. It's being held in Hudson Mills Metropark.   I don't know if I'm going to get a tu-tu made or not.  They are easy to make with very little sewing or even no sewing. 
I saw the link to the SELF story through a women's running FB page that I follow.  It will be interesting to see how many times I see it shared the next few days from the various fitness/running pages I follow. 

Runner Nerd
running the Tu-tu 5K

1 comment:

  1. Self got DESTROYED but this might turn out OK for them. Hopefully they learned something and... when was the last time anyone thought about Self Magazine?

    I think the worst part is that they contacted them and asked to publish this picture without telling them they would be "ripped on".

    ReplyDelete