Saturday, April 28, 2012

Decluttering turns up treasure

As I was sorting through old school stuff (junk?) on the book shelves I came across a folder of assignments from one of the English classes I had to take as a pre-requisite for my program.  I found an assignment - a bucket list we had to do.  It had 100 lines and we had to fill in all of them.  I remember just coming up with stuff to get the lines filled in.  It was interesting to read it now, nearly 2 years later!  The first thing I wrote was - do an Ironman triathlon!!  (that won't happen this year or next!)  One of the things I wrote on this list has been on my mind since then and I am going to make it happen this summer.  The 5th thing on the list was - go flying with my Dad again.  My Dad is an airplane pilot and has been all of my life.  I've flown with him many times over the years.  When we were kids, we'd leave at sunrise and fly to Mackinac Island and spend the day and return before dark.  It's been many years since I've flown with my Dad.  My dad is now 75 and is still licensed but I know he won't be forever, so I want to fly with him again while it is still possible.  He does not own an airplane anymore but he does have access to several and does still fly quite often in the summers. 
Another thing I wrote on the list just for something to write was - collect all of the state quarters.  I remember writing that!  I actually did begin to collect them when that program first started and they released a new state quarter every 4 months or 6 months or whatever interval it was.  I know there is a little box around here somewhere with the ones I kept.  I have begun to collect them again!  It's more of a challenge now!  Funny thing - the first one I looked at had Mt. Rushmore on it and visiting Mt. Rushmore was the 3rd item on my bucket list!!  That was one of my serious entries as I have always wanted to go there.  I am definitely going to do it within the first 2 years after graduating.  In the same class, I wrote my informative essay on the history of Mt. Rushmore; I knew what it was but I never really knew how it came to be.  Since writing that essay, I want more than ever to go. 
Another item on my bucket list - number 2 - qualify for and run the Boston Marathon!!  If that's going to happen, I'm going to have to get back into shape and run a lot better than I do these days!!  I turn 50 this year but my qualifying time stays at 4 hours with the new changes.  Even if I did qualify, I'm sure it would be within a minute or two at the most so I'd have little chance of getting in anyway with the new order of registration procedures.  Oh well. 
I threw away most of the stuff in the folder but I kept the bucket list and the Mt. Rushmore paper. 

Runner Nerd
state quarter collector


No comments:

Post a Comment