Sunday, April 1, 2012

Twinkie race

Oh my! The things I must do for a good cause!! 
Today I participated in a race to benefit the ALS foundation (Lou Gherig's disease).  My Grandfather had ALS many years ago and died when my Mom was in high school.  This particular race takes place every year on April 1 no matter what day of the week it falls on.  I ran it 4 years ago on a Tuesday evening.
The idea is to get a minute deducted for eating a twinkie before and halfway though the race.  I got my twinkie and headed to the start line where you get a mark on the tear off tag of the race bib for eating the twinkie. I couldn't help but think that this is the only time you will ever see a bunch of runners eating twinkies!! 
The last time I ate a twinkie was at this run 4 years ago and before that, I estimate that it had been at least 25 years since I had eaten a twinkie.  My kids say they can't remember me ever buying them.  My son says he had eaten some in elementary school and my daughter doesn't think she has ever eaten one!
I remember 4 yrs ago I thought the twinkies were going to be soooooo good but they weren't!   This year there was a homemade twinkie contest.  I tried a couple samples of the homemade twinkies and they were really good!! 
After the race, a friend and I ran 3 more miles and got back to the main part of the park just in time for age group awards to given out!  We both got 2nd in our age groups!  There were also twinkie finisher medals! 
Will run for twinkies! 



Twinkie medal

No comments:

Post a Comment