Friday, June 28, 2013

Vintage Running Shirt

Yesterday I won a prize!!  I won a prize for having the oldest running shirt!  It was the running store's annual volunteer party.  On the invitation, it said to bring an old race shirt and that there would be a prize for the oldest!  I dug out my t-shirt from 1980!  It is from the 1980 MAIAW Regional Cross Country Championships at University of Wisconsin Madison.  (MAIAW = Midwest Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women - AKA - women's sports at teeny tiny colleges.)
1980 race shirt
This is the 2nd time I've won a prize for this shirt!!  I have an even older shirt from high school.. It's the shirt that we wore to school on the day of a track meet.  It has the school logo and says Girls Track but there is no date.  I'm pretty sure I got the shirt my sophomore year which would have been 1978 but, since there is no date on the shirt, it could not be used in the contest. 
The volunteer party began with a 3 mile trail run for all the runners.  It was pouring rain and the trails were wet, flooded in places, and muddy.  It was not fun in my eyes.  It was also cold.  I changed into dry clothes which included a long sleeve shirt.  I was holding the college t-shirt up and wondering if I could even fit into it.  I noticed that it is a size LARGE; a 1980's size large!  Funny how today a size large would be too big.  It did fit, even fit over my long sleeve shirt.  There was another man with a 1980 race shirt and a man who had a 1978 race shirt and all three of us got prizes.  When we were standing there, a running group friend of mine blurted out, "imagine that, a 50 yr old woman who can wear a shirt from her college days!"  I was a bit embarrassed at the moment but later on, after I thought about it, I felt proud of that fact!! 

Runner Nerd
ran cross country in 1980 and still has the shirt

2 comments:

  1. That is AWESOME!! I was thinking the same thing--that you can still wear a shirt from college! And I personally love vintage shirts. :) Congrats on the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for providing individuals with a very brilliant possiblity to read in detail from this website. It's usually very useful plus jam-packed with a good time for me and my office mates to search the blog the equivalent of three times in a week to read the new secrets you have. Not to mention, I am just certainly pleased concerning the eye-popping techniques you give. Selected two points in this article are clearly the best we have all had.Harry Potter Shirt

    ReplyDelete