Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pacer Nerd

Yesterday I was asked to be a pacer at a large 10K race.  I was given the choice of 60 or 65 minutes.  I chose 65 minutes.  When I got home, I entered it into the pace calculator on my ipod touch and it came out to be 10:29/mile.  That should be super easy for me and I should be able to talk and cheer on the runners being paced.  BUT...right now I'm just not running very well.  I won't be the only pacer; I was told that after 60 minutes there are more pacers for each group because that's where the most people want to run with a pace group.  There will be four 65 minute pacers; 65 minutes must be a very popular time.  It makes sense, it is probably inexperienced, newer runners who are working their way down from 11 and 12 minute miles and to them a 1:05 10K is a time goal that is not going to be easy.  I am going to do my best.  Before the race, I will have to go in to the Y and run a few miles at  a 10:25 pace to see if I can get a feel for it and then remember it when I'm not on a treadmill.  
I went for a short run today and it did not go well.  My legs just didn't want to move.  I'm meeting up with my friend, Erika, tomorrow afternoon to go running; she always pulls me along faster than I'd run by myself.

Runner Nerd
race pacer

No comments:

Post a Comment