Monday, March 25, 2013

Muddy Shoes

Yesterday, my run resulted in:
Muddy shoes and tights!!
Mud covered shoes
Trying to scrape some mud off before getting in the car!


I ran my favorite 4.5 mile route which includes a 3/4 mile jaunt through the woods!!  As is usual in the early spring, the woods were super muddy!! What is it about running in the mud and getting ones shoes all muddy?  I love muddy shoes!  I had a pretty good run.  I ran from Bandemer Park along Argo Pond and over the dam and along the headrace.  They have been cutting a lot of trees along the river; I wonder why.  I saw something that I haven't seen in a long time.  Along the river along the headrace trail I could see tents on the other side of the river.  The tents are where homeless people sleep.  A few years ago there were always tents along the river but you could barely see them because there used to be a lot more trees.  It's been some time since I've seen tents along there.  I also saw an old couch on the other side of the headrace which is kind of funny!  There were people sitting on it enjoying the new "rapids" they made in the headrace.  They were definitely not homeless people.  I continued on to Maiden Lane, crossed to Island Drive and down and back and on the way back to Bandemer, I took Argo Bluffs trail which is through the woods and that is where I got my shoes all muddy!!  It's my favorite stretch of that run! I saw several people in the river along Island Dr. and in Bandemer under the M14 overpass and it looked like they were taking samples or testing or something. 

My next event coming up is a week from today, Monday, April 1st, AKA April Fools Day.  I will be running the annual Twinkie run which is always run on April 1st regardless of the day of the week.  The race supports the ALS Foundation.  My Grandfather had ALS so I consider it a worthy cause.  I looked up Twinkies nutrition info and I am going to have to count 4 weight watcher points for each Twinkie I eat; good thing I'm running a race!!  I usually run a few more miles afterward since the race is in Gallup Park, another of my favorite places to run!

I am only 2.5 pounds away from my pre-college weight!!!!!!!  Last year I wore my running skirt to the Twinkie run and about fell over when I saw a picture that my friend took; I looked soooooooo huge.  It was awful.  This year isn't looking like it will be running skirt weather but if it does happen to be warm enough, I can wear my first running skirt again!!  It's not the one I wore last year; I wasn't able to fit in this one last year.  It would be so awesome to be able to wear it in the run!  If not the Twinkie run then hopefully the Detroit Race for the Cure in May. 

Runner Nerd
has muddy shoes and wants to wear blue Nike running skirt again

1 comment:

  1. I think muddy shoes are just a sign of doing something fun!! The Twinkie run sounds like fun! Do you eat twinkies while you're running??
    Congrats on being so close to your pre college weight!!

    ReplyDelete