Monday, April 15, 2013

What Just Happened?

I cannot believe how today turned out.  This morning, I watched the last half hour or so of the elite women's Boston Marathon.   I was disappointed that Kara Goucher wasn't in the lead pack of gals.  I watched the gal who was almost a minute and a half ahead slowly get caught and passed.  I can't imagine what that's like and then being watched by millions of people added to it.  I saw the winner cross and Shalane finish in 4th place  and then saw Kara finish 6th.  I saw the man winner and then I turned off the computer and went about the usual: empty the trash, clean up the kitchen, etc etc etc.  Such exciting stuff!  I was tracking a few people I know who were running, but that was on my cell phone so I had not turned on the computer again.  I was in town when I got a text from my niece that two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  My first thought was that it was so late in the afternoon that it should be over by now.  It has a later start than most marathons.  I didn't realize that there was a gap between the elites starting and the "regular people" starting.  I checked Facebook on my phone and saw some posts that various people had posted or texted someone that they were ok.
I had an easy 3 miler in the plans for this afternoon but after I heard all of this, I decided that I was going to run 4 miles all out.  I got home, changed and went off on my run to support Boston.  I kept thinking back a few years to the year that five members of the running group were heading to Boston and we had a little party after running group the week they were heading out.  It was so much fun and everyone was excited for them and they were super excited and super nervous.  The following week they came back wearing Boston shirts and jackets and showing off their medals.  It was a dream for all of them and all of them trained really hard to get there; none of them qualified by very much.  I ran my 4 miles at 8:47 avg pace. 
Qualifying and running Boston is something I really want to do.  I've come close but didn't quite get there.  I hope hope hope to qualify at some time in my life.  Now this happens; what's going to happen now?
After the explosions, they rerouted runners down a different street instead of letting them head to the finish line.  Obviously, I know that had to be done but I cannot imagine how disappointing it must be to make it to Boston, run nearly 26 of the miles and then not be able to finish at the finish line.  
My Mom emailed me to say that she hopes that I am not still planning to run the marathon in Chicago.  UM....YES, I am still planning to run Chicago.  I've already seen things posted on Chicago's Facebook about Chicago runners running to honor those affected by the events in Boston today. 

Will we ever be able to enjoy running a marathon again or will we always have to be looking over our shoulders or watching for some unexpected bombs going off?  What about spectators?  I've heard that Chicago is one of the marathons where there are crowds lining the entire course.  I hope they can be there in October.

I'm not sure where it started, but it's all over Facebook - wear a race shirt tomorrow to show support and there is even a bib circulating that can be printed and worn; it says 4-15-13 / BOSTON / Runners united to remember.
Bib for virtual run to remember

I printed one and will wear it with one of my old marathon shirts. (I don't know why the pic shows with the sides cut off on here, my printed bib is complete.)

Runner Nerd
sad runner

No comments:

Post a Comment