Sunday, June 24, 2012

Key West, Here comes the world's oldest college student!!!

I am officially registered for my graduation present to myself!!  I can't think of a better way to celebrate graduating from college and beginning my new career than to go to one of the coolest places in the world, where it's beautiful in the middle of January, and run a half marathon!!!
When I first started this college journey, my first thought was to do the goofy challenge the 2nd week of January  (Disney half marathon on Saturday and Disney marathon on Sunday).  It did not take long to realize that there would be no way that I could train for a marathon while going about the business of being the world's oldest full time college student and maintaining that all important 4.0 GPA.  When I learned of the Key West half in January I thought that would be perfect!  Half marathons are so much easier. I would have over a month after graduation which can go a long way toward getting ready for a half marathon as long as I had a good base. 
I'm really excited and looking forward to this!!  I've been saying for over 3 years that I'm going to go to Key West after graduating and I can't believe that I am now actually registered for it!!  I'm winding up my next to last semester then will have a 6 week break and at the end of August will be beginning my last semester!!
Soooooooo, anyway.... I have registered for...


Now, I have work to do.  I'm embarrassed beyond embarrassed to say that I've gained 10 pounds since becoming a full time student.  That is number one priority to get rid of that.  My mileage has went down to almost nothing, from 25-30 miles per week to 10-12 miles per week.  With weight gain and such reduced mileage I am so out of shape.  I run soooooo slow.  Turtles run faster than me.  I have a hard time running under 10 minute miles.  When I run with others on Tuesday nights, I can keep up 9 minute miles for a couple of miles but then I really slow down.  These days, 4 miles does me in.  So, I have to make a comeback!  My heel has been bothering me, it's symptoms of the "PF" word.  (can't even type it!)  I am going to one of the massage therapists at the place I go who has developed a massage technique for PF.

Today I ran 3 miles, my heel was good but afterward I drove about a mile to CVS to get a newspaper and when I got out of the car I had to give it a moment before taking the first step.  GEEZ, when is this going to end?????  

I have new next door neighbors whom I haven't met yet.  I still can't believe the old neighbors are gone :(   They built the house and had lived next to us for 21 years.  I am planning on making some chocolate chip cookies this week and taking them to the new neighbors and meeting them.  The recipe I'm making is one I got from the old neighbor!  It's the best chocolate chip recipe ever!! 


Runner Nerd
Key West bound

No comments:

Post a Comment