Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Birthday thoughts

Well, it's once again the anniversary of the day I was born.  Earlier today I told someone that it's my 10th 39th birthday!!!  That got me thinking though....I am weigh around 30 lbs less and I am in wayyyyyy better shape than I was on my original 39th birthday!!  I was not yet running at that point. 
I went to my Tuesday morning running group today and we did 14 400s.  I was actually very consistent today, they were all right around 1:55!!  a few were faster and a couple were slower but all were under 2 minutes!!!  Soooooooo, no sleeping in or breakfast in bed or any such thing as that on my birthday!!!  Who, in their right mind would run 14 400s with a mere 1 minute rest on their birthday???????  Actually there were 2 people doing that today!!  It was also one of the other's birthday too!  She's only 45 and runs faster than me.  After running I had to get to the Y to shower and change and then it was off to class.  This is my last semester of pre-reqs!!  In January I start the Respiratory Therapy Program!!  I can't wait. 
Two years ago I ran a half marathon on my birthday, last year I participated in the run across the Mackinac Bridge on my birthday and this year I had my running group on my birthday.  Most women my age would think I was nuts!!
Speaking of the Labor Day run across the Mackinac Bridge, this is the last Labor Day that Gov. Granholm will be in office.  She is who started the RUN.  Michigan's Governors have been walking across the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day since it was built in the 50s.  The story goes that shortly after Gov. G was elected she was told that she would be walking across the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day and her response was, "NO, I'm not I am RUNNING across!"  At first the Bridge Authority said it was not possible but she insisted and they worked it out.  There is an application process and until 2008 only 300, now it is 400, people would be chosen.  Michigan residents only, of course!  Runners start in groups of 30 every few minutes because of vibrations or something.  Anyway, what I am getting at, I wonder if the Bridge run will be continued with a new Governor coming in this year.  Hmmmm, I wonder if either Virg or Rick are runners.  I will have to look into that!!  I am sure that many who have been chosen to run will be writing in support of this fun event.  I am lucky to have been chosen to run both times I applied!!  It is a lot of fun. 

So, today I celebrate my health!!  I consider myself lucky to be able to zip around the track 14 times in less than 2 minutes each time!!!  I look forward to just over 5 weeks away when I once again run 26.2 miles!!!!  It won't be my fastest one but I, a 48 yr old girl, can do it!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment