Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Welcome back to speedwork!

The last 2 weeks I did speedwork with some people from the gym, led by the triathlon coach.  The last 2 weeks went pretty good; the workouts were 3-3.5 miles plus warm up and cool down and we were done in less than an hour.  The first week was in pouring rain, last week we were out there running in summer clothes. Today we were back in tights and long sleeve shirts (I wore 2 shirts).  This was one crazy killer workout.  2 sets 1200 fast, 400 slow; 2 sets 800 fast, 400 slow; 2 sets 400 fast, 400 slow; 4 sets 200 fast, 200 slow.  We had a 1 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down.  If  I have calculated this all correctly, it's a total of 8.5 miles.  THAT'S NUTS!!! 
I am not fond of any speedwork over 400s.  When I saw in coach's email yesterday first line: "1200 fast then 400 slow then repeat"  I considered skipping it!!  By the 2nd 800 my legs felt finished.  We went off the track for the cooldown, a paved rail-to-trail runs right behind this high school track so we headed over there and ran a mile down and back.  (there is a mile marked out behind the school with each 1/4 marked; I figured we'd run to the half mile then turn around but noooooooo they just kept going.  The last half mile back I was barely moving anymore.  I was worn out!!  When I got into my car it was 7:45 and we had started right at 6. 
I'm sore now  You know, I really should use that big black post looking thingy sitting over there in the corner collecting dust (AKA foam roller) but that would result in more pain!!!

Well, I'm plopped in my chair and I'm going to watch my favorite show (and the only TVshow I watch), Ghost Hunters!!!!!!!!

Runner Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment