Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Lightfest 8K

I'm finishing up another post in my attempt to get caught up on blogging.  I keep starting posts but don't get them finished.  I guess I'm a failure as a blogger! 
A few weeks ago was one of the most fun events I do every year, the Wayne County Lightfest Run through the Lights 8K.  They set up a big drive through light display on Hines Drive which runs through a series of parks.  The 8K is a fun run with no timing on a Tuesday evening and draws a surprisingly large crowd.  It's only $18.00 and you get a long sleeve t-shirt! The drive through display opens on the Friday after the run. 
I met up with running group friends before the run started. My lights were on but they don't show up very well in the picture. The lights on Larry's hat really show up.
Decked out in lights
The run went well.  Miles 2,3, and 4 were all under 9 minutes.  Mile 4 was 8:37, how I did that, I have no idea.  I never felt like I was running fast.  I was tired out by the end.  My overall pace was 9:00 even.
After the run I met a local running celebrity!!!  His name is Doug Kurtis.  He has quite a list of accomplishments.  He made news this year when he ran the Detroit Marathon in under 3 hours for his 200th sub 3 hour marathon.  He is 61 years old.
My first running celebrity photo:
Just hanging out with my BFF after the run!! 
My running group friend, Larry (in above picture and wearing the same thing) knows him.  They are both on the staff of the Detroit Turkey Trot.  (They are both wearing their staff jackets and hats)  Larry took our picture and I told Doug that it was my first picture with a running celebrity!  I told him about seeing Dean Karnazes at the Chicago Marathon expo and that I didn't wait in the line.  He then proceeds to tell me that the Thursday following the Chicago Marathon he had lunch with Dean Karnazes in Dearborn! 
I could hardly believe that I had just run another Lightfest 8K.  This year has just flown by.  I felt good afterward, especially for the pace that I ran.  I am feeling more confident that I will be able to come in under 2 hours in Key West. 

Runner Nerd
runs through lights wearing lights

No comments:

Post a Comment