Saturday, November 7, 2009

I am officially a nerd!


Yep, I'm officially a nerd now! Today I was inducted into Phi Theta Kappa which is the National Honor Society for community college students. I'm pretty excited about it!  They said that less than 10% of the students at the college I'm going to are elgible to be in it.
Here is a picture of me with my sash on that I will wear on my gown when I graduate.  Until then I have to put it away and not lose it!  I put it in my closet, folded and in a plastic bag. Now I have it written down where it is!  I was surprised that they gave the sashes out today, I figured they'd do that at the time of graduation. I am going to my first meeting on Wednesday.  The first thing I am going to volunteer to help with is a food drive for a womens shelter. 
After the ceremony I celebrated by going to the trail, changing out of my dress into running clothes and running 10 miles!  This is the first double-digit run I've done since September 12.  I pulled my hamstring again during the following week.  It's been 7 weeks now since I last pulled it, do I dare dream about running another marathon?  It was a beautiful day today, I ran in shorts and a sleeveless shirt!  I ran pretty good for 8.5 miles, the last 1.5 got tough.  I am sore now.  I ran on the Falling Waters Trail, it's a paved rail to trail.  It's very nice, most of it is wooded and there are some ponds at places.  There aren't too many road crossings after the first 1.5 miles. It is a great thing to have in this area...however...I don't like out and back runs, I much prefer loops. 
This is the map of my run of today:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/18255081
This is the map of my favorite running route at Bandemer Park in Ann Arbor:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13288665
You have to admit the straight line is pretty boring!! I know, part of my favorite route is out and back...but that is a very scenic section!  It is right alongside the Huron River and I will try to explain this: the section between Broadway St. (the trail actually goes UNDER the road) and toward Main St. (it looks like I ran down the middle of the river on the map) is a dirt trail with the Huron River on one side and the other side is what is called a headrace (I think that's what it is called) from a dam (where I cross from one side of the river to the other-that is a bridge over a dam).  It's really cool running through there, I like it.  That dam is probably going to be removed and, as I understand it, the headrace will no longer be there.  I'm writing a paper for my writing class on the dam removal!  I was against it until I started reading more about it; I still hate to see it go (and hope it doesn't) but can understand the reasons now.  Maybe I will write about that here after I finish my paper.  I am facinated by that dam!  When I cross over the bridge the water on one side is barely moving but it comes rushing out the other side all white and foamy.  It is so cool, sometimes I pause from my run and watch it.  I guess it doesn't take much to amuse me! 
Well, this honor student/runner is tired and needs to get some sleep!  I didn't do any homework today so guess what I am going to be doing tomorrow!
L

No comments:

Post a Comment