Wednesday, November 4, 2009

OH YEAH! The old lady aces another test!

I had a test in Human Bio lab today.  The test was on the muscles and organs of the cats we have been disecting for the last 4 weeks.  The test consisted of pins with numbered flags pinned in the organs and muscles of the disected cats.  We had a numbered answer sheet on which we had to write the name of the structure next to the proper number.  I (the oldest student in the class) got them all right!!!  I got the only 100% on the first lab test which was on bones.  I won't know how I did in comparison with everyone else until scores are posted on Thursday after the other section of lab takes their test. 
I'm actually really glad I don't have to look at those dead cats again.  It didn't bother me disecting them but it wasn't exactly enjoyable.
After school I went over to the trail, changed in the backseat of my car and went for a 5 mile run-2.5 miles out and back and I even negative split!!!  I forgot my Garmin but I know where to turn around to run 3, 4 or 5 miles so I used my watch and hit the split button when I turned around.  I was almost a minute faster coming back.  I picked it up a couple times paying close attention to my hamstring, if there had been even the slightest twinges I'd have stopped but everything was ok.   I do speedwork with a group of mostly women on Tuesday mornings but have had to reluctantly give that up this semester since I had to take a class on Tuesdays.  I will be back with them as soon as this semester is over.  I already know that both of my classes will be on Wednesdays next semester, I will be at school ALL day on Wednesdays.  I am excited to get back running with them again but also a bit afraid of the hamstring.  It was during one of those speed workouts that I first pulled a hamstring muscle.  We were doing 800s and I was running good, I surprised myself on the first one, I think it happened on the 2nd lap of the 2nd 800.  It felt like somebody stabbed me in the back of the leg with an ice pick.  It just happened out of the blue, no warning, I went from running fine to almost falling it hurt so bad.  It's been a recurring thing all summer but it's been almost 7 weeks now since the last time so I am hoping I can get on with running again and build my speed and endurance back up again.
Well, it's off to bed, I have a huge day of studying tomorrow.  We are studying the nervous system, what a complicated thing that is!  Soooooo much to learn.  The teacher records the lectures and puts them online so I listen to them and go over my notes and add to them and change things I wrote the first time.  Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I wrote something, it's kind of funny.   It definitely helps me but I was asking others if they use the recordings and it seems that very few do.  Told you I have become a total NERD!!
I tried a new recipe using quinoa tonight.  I had never used it before.  I like it.  It's not a pasta; it's a grain.  I am going to try red quinoa next. 
Time for bed

No comments:

Post a Comment