Tuesday, January 19, 2010

rode his bike 77 miles on his 77th birthday

I found this mentioned in another runner blog I read regularly and I found the newspaper article online.  A man in  North Carolina rode his bike 77 miles on his 77th birthday last Friday.  It took him 8 hours, he rode loops around a local county park.  People eventually realized what he was doing and he had people cheering him on!  He started riding 5 years ago on an old mountain bike.  He has since bought a new bike.  He has competed in Senior Games both at the local and state levels.
I absolutely love this quote: "So many people my age, they’re sitting all day long and watching TV and not using their minds ... and not taking care of their aging bodies,” Weimer said. “I want to do the best I can. I’m pretty lucky to have lived all these many years.”
Well, Mr. Weimer, I'm 30 years younger than you and so many people MY age are also just sitting around watching TV and not using their minds when they aren't at work and they certainly aren't taking care of their bodies.  You, sir, are an inspiration and an example to all of us!
Happy Birthday and YOU ROCK, Cal Weimer!!!!

Info from Greensboro News & Record. 16 January 2010. Online edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment